Sweet Roll Recipe
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 2 pkgs. dry yeast
- 2 c. lukewarm buttermilk
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c. soft shortening
- 7 c. sifted flour
- Put warm (not hot) water in mixing bowl.
- Add yeast and stir to dissolve.
- Stir in buttermilk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and half of the flour.
- Mix with wooden spoon. Dough should not be too sticky or too stiff.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to handle dough easily.
- Mix with your hands.
- Turn onto lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Round up in greased bowl.
- Let rise in a warm place (about 85°) until doubled in size, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down and let rise again until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough for desired rolls and coffeecakes or prune pies.
- Shape, let rise and bake at 350° for about 25 minutes.
- 1-lb. box prunes
- Cook prunes with just enough water to cover until soft. This takes about 20 minutes.
- Drain and take the seeds out and add sugar, cinnamon and nuts to your good-tasting.
- Fill rolls baked above.
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/3 c. butter
- Combine sugar and flour.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over prune filling, or if you make small kolaches, over them.
This and the prune filling are usually enough for 2 pies.
Author: Sister Rita Rose Bily
Date First Published: 05/21/2010
Prep Time: 120 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 pies