- 3-1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. soft butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, rounded
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, rounded
- 1/2 tsp. allspice, rounded
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1 c. pecans, chopped very fine (chop in blender)
- 4-1/2 to 5 c. flour
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add 4 eggs and mix well. Add salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and chopped pecans.
- Work flour into this mixture. Toward the end you must use your hands. Dough will be extremely stiff.
- Take about 1A of the dough; on a floured board roll out into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Cut dough into strips approximately the length of a pencil.
- Roll each strip lightly, and then form into a pretzel shape.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake.
- Let bottoms set and then place on top rack of oven until pretzels turn a golden brown, approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack and store in tight container for crisp pretzels.
Pretzels when completely cooled are very hard and should be broken into small pieces to eat.
Note: These deliciously spicy, sweet pretzels are our traditional Alsatian Christmas cookies. The recipe comes from my Grandmother. Although a little challenging to make, they are worth the effort!
Author: Grandma Friesenhahn
Date First Published: 05/21/2010
Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes