Pecan Pie –Friesenhahn Family Recipe
Pie Shell Recipe
Pie Shell Ingredients:
- 2 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. shortening
- 5 to 6 tsp. cold water
Pie Shell Directions
- Add flour to a large mixing bowl. Mix in salt thoroughly.
- Heat shortening in a saucepan or cook pot until it liquefies; don’t’ overheat.
- Stir in liquid shortening with a large mixing spoon. Be careful; the shortening may be hot to the touch!
- Continue stirring until shortening and flour are thoroughly mixed. The “dough” will now be pretty firm and sticky, so wipe excess dough from the mixing spoon and remove it.
- Add about 1/2 of the cold water and hand- knead the dough to mix in the water.
- Add a little more, but not all of the water, and continue hand-kneading the dough until it no longer “sticks” to your hands but is still “firm”. You’ll know the dough is ready when it is pliable, yet firm and does not stick to your hands.
- Add a little more of the water if necessary, and finish the hand-kneading process. (HINT: add a bit of flour and knead further to firm it up if you’ve added too much water and the dough is too “thin”).
- Form a good portion of the dough by hand into a ball and spread out on a cooking towel laid out on the counter and sprinkled with flour.
- Begin forming the “pie shell disk” by kneading into a thick “disc” by hand. Then sprinkle flour on the disc and finish rolling out (use a large rolling pin) for the pie shell.
- Sprinkle on additional flour as needed to keep the rolling pin from sticking.
- Roll the pie shell dough out to a diameter larger than your pie pan. If you have enough dough, it will be about 3/16” thick and the diameter will be larger than the pie pan to facilitate forming within the pie pan with enough dough to form the “rim”). Turn the pie pan over, center it and lay it on the dough.
- Grasp the corners of the cooking towel, pull the corners together and gently lift with one hand while holding the bottom of the dough with your other hand.
- Quickly “flip” the dough and pie pan over, and carefully remove the towel. Then gently form the pie shell into the inside of the pie pan and trim the rim area for a nice presentation. Return the excess dough to the bowl for the next pie shell.
(NOTE: it takes a little practice to get the dough “just right”, but the results are worth it compared to ‘store-bought” pie shells!)
Pecan Pie Filling Recipe
Pecan Pie Filling Ingredients
- 1/3 c. butter or margarine
- 3/4 c. brown sugar (firmly packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. light corn syrup—use dark corn syrup for a thicker, darker texture to suit taste
- 1 c. broken pecans
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Pecan Pie Filling Directions
- Preheat Oven to 350° F.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in corn syrup, pecans, vanilla and salt.
- Fill the shell.
- Bake the pie in a moderate oven 350o F for about 45 minutes.
- Check regularly after about ½ hour, and remove from the oven when the crust starts browning.
Author: Friesenhahn Family
Date First Published: 05/21/2010
Prep Time: 120 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2-crusts, 8 to 9 inch pie shells