German Potato Cake Recipe
- 1 c. butter
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 egg yokes
- 1/2 c. cocoa
- 1 c. hot, coarsely mashed potatoes, unseasoned
- 3/4 c. sweet milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- Preheat Oven to 350° F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, egg yolks and cocoa.
- Using wire whisk, blend in potatoes.
- Alternating with milk, add flour, soda and baking powder, blend well.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Add pecans that have been coated with part of flour.
- Prepare 3 (9-inch) layer cake pans.
- Pour batter into pans and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 c. orange juice
- 2 egg yokes
- 1/4 tsp. yellow food coloring
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and orange peel in saucepan.
- Add 1 cup orange juice.
- Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens and becomes clear.
- Add to filling, beating constantly.
- Cook for 2 minutes then cool.
- Spread cooled filling between cake layers.
- Use egg white icing to frost cake.
Author: Sister Elise Bengfort
Date First Published:05/21/2010
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 Cake